BUFFERED PEPTONE WATER with 1% Tween ® 20
|Cat. no. D085||
Buffered Peptone Water with 1% Tween
Dilu-Lok II™ Vial, 90ml
Hardy Diagnostics Buffered Peptone Water with Tween ® 20 is recommended as a general rinse or diluent solution for the analysis of samples that may contain spore-forming bacteria or fungi.
This product is not intended to be used for the diagnosis of human disease.
Buffered Peptone Water with Tween ® 20 is a non-selective preenrichment broth. Peptone in the media supplies nitrogenous compounds needed for the growth of bacteria. The phosphate salts provide buffering capacity to maintain the optimal pH. Maintenance of the pH is important when attempting to recover injured bacteria, a low pH can be detrimental to the repair of the damaged cells. The addition of Tween ® 20 promotes the break-up of spore aggregates that could be present in the sample.
Ingredients per liter of deionized water.*
|Tween ® 20||10.0gm|
Final pH 7.2 +/- 0.2 at 25ºC.
* Adjusted and/or supplemented as required to meet performance criteria.
STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
Storage: Upon receipt store at 2-30ºC away from direct light. Media should not be used if there are any signs of contamination, deterioration, discoloration, or if the expiration date has passed. Product is light and temperature sensitive. Protect from freezing.
Consult listed references for information on specimen collection and specific standard methods. (1-5)
General Dilution Guidelines:
1:10 Serial Dilutions:
1. Using a sterile pipet, aliquot 10ml of test suspension to 90ml of the Dilu-Lok II™ diluent. Mix thoroughly. This yields a 1:10 dilution.
2. Use a second sterile pipet to aliquot 10ml of the 1:10 dilution prepared in step 1 into a second 90ml filled Dilu-Lok II™ diluent. Mix thoroughly. This yields a 1:100 dilution.
3. Continue aliquoting 10ml of subsequent dilutions into 90ml filled Dilu-Lok II™ diluents until the desired concentration of test sample is obtained. Each succeeding dilution increases by a factor of ten. A separate sterile pipet should be used with each dilution.
INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS
See listed references for interpretation of growth. (1,3)
MATERIALS REQUIRED BUT NOT PROVIDED
Standard microbiological supplies and equipment such as loops, pipets, other culture media, swabs, applicator sticks, incinerators, and incubators, etc., as well as serological and biochemical reagents, are not provided.
|Test Organisms||Inoculation Method*||Incubation||Results|
ATCC ® 14028**
|A||18-24hr||35°C||Aerobic||Growth and typical colony morphology upon subculture to TSA|
** Recommended QC strains for User Quality Control according to the CLSI document M22 when applicable.
User Quality Control
Buffered Peptone Water with 1% Tween ® 20 should appear clear and colorless with no precipitate or debris.
1. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Bacteriological Analytical Manual. AOAC, Arlington, VA. www.fda.gov/Food/ScienceResearch/LaboratoryMethods/BacteriologicalAnalyticalManualBAM/default.htm
2. Marshall, R.T., ed. 1992. Standard Methods for the Examination of Dairy Products , 16th ed. APHA, Washington, D.C.
3. APHA Technical Committee on Microbiological Methods for Foods. Compendium of Methods for the Microbiological Examination of Foods, APHA, Washington, D.C.
4. American Public Health Association. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, APHA, Washington, D.C.
5. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Official Methods of Analysis , AOAC, Washington, D.C.
ATCC is a registered trademark of the American Type Culture Collection.
Tween is a registered trademark of ICI Americas, Inc.