CRITERION™ Eugonic Agar
|Cat. no. C5710||CRITERION™ Eugonic Agar||90gm|
|Cat. no. C5711||CRITERION™ Eugonic Agar||500gm|
|Cat. no. C5712||CRITERION™ Eugonic Agar||2kg|
|Cat. no. C5713||CRITERION™ Eugonic Agar||10kg|
|Cat. no. C5714||CRITERION™ Eugonic Agar||50kg|
Hardy Diagnostics CRITERION™ Eugonic Agar is recommended for use as a general purpose growth media for a wide variety of microorganisms.
This dehydrated culture medium is a raw material intended to be used in the making of prepared media products, which will require further processing, additional ingredients, or supplements.
CRITERION™ Eugonic Agar is generally used for the non-selective cultivation of bacteria including fastidious and non-fastidious microorganisms. Bacteria such as Aspergillis, Brucella, Candida, Lactobacillus, Shigella and Streptococcus have been grown to produce eugonic (rapid and luxuriant) growth. This media is useful for cultivation of pathogenic microbes in medical bacteriology as well as enumerating bacteria in food microbiology.
Proteose, casein and soy peptones are used in this formula as a source of amino acids, nitrogen, and other essential vitamins. Carbon is available from dextrose, while sodium chloride is added to maintain the proper osmotic pressure. L-cysteine and sodium sulfite are added nutrients in order to improve growth. Agar is added for solidification of the media.
|Gram weight per liter:||45.0gm/L|
Final pH 7.0 +/- 0.2 at 25ºC.
* Adjusted and/or supplemented as required to meet performance criteria.
STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
Store the sealed bottle(s) containing dehydrated culture medium at 2-30ºC. Dehydrated culture medium is very hygroscopic. Keep lid tightly sealed. Protect dehydrated culture media from moisture and light. The dehydrated culture media should be discarded if it is not free-flowing or if the color has changed from its original beige.
Store the prepared culture media at 2-8ºC.
METHOD OF PREPARATION FOR DEHYDRATED CULTURE MEDIA
1. Suspend 45.0gm of the dehydrated culture media in 1 liter of distilled or deionized water. Stir to mix thoroughly.
2. Boil to dissolve completely. Do not overheat.
3. Sterilize in the autoclave at 121ºC. for 15 minutes.
4. Cool to 45-50º and aseptically pour plates.
PROCEDURE AND INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS
For information on procedures and interpretation of results, consult listed references.
MATERIALS REQUIRED BUT NOT PROVIDED
Standard microbiological supplies and equipment such as autoclaves, incinerators, and incubators, etc., are not provided.
|Test Organisms||Inoculation Method*||Incubation||Results|
formerly A. niger
ATCC ® 16404
ATCC ® 26790
ATCC ® 9338
ATCC ® 12022
ATCC ® 19615
User Quality Control
CRITERION™ Eugonic Agar powder should appear homogeneous, free-flowing, and beige in color. The prepared media should appear slightly opalescent, light amber in color; may have a slight precipitate.
1. Anderson, N.L., et al. Cumitech 3B; Quality Systems in the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, Coordinating ed., A.S. Weissfeld. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.
2. Jorgensen., et al. Manual of Clinical Microbiology, American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.
3. Tille, P., et al. Bailey and Scott's Diagnostic Microbiology, C.V. Mosby Company, St. Louis, MO.
4. Isenberg, H.D. Clinical Microbiology Procedures Handbook, Vol. I, II & III. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.
5. Koneman, E.W., et al. Color Atlas and Textbook of Diagnostic Microbiology, J.B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia, PA.
ATCC is a registered trademark of the American Type Culture Collection.