CRITERION™ Eugonic Broth
|Cat. no. C5720||CRITERION™ Eugonic Broth||60.8gm|
|Cat. no. C5721||CRITERION™ Eugonic Broth||500gm|
|Cat. no. C5722||CRITERION™ Eugonic Broth||2kg|
|Cat. no. C5723||CRITERION™ Eugonic Broth||10kg|
|Cat. no. C5724||CRITERION™ Eugonic Broth||50kg|
Hardy Diagnostics CRITERION™ Eugonic Broth is recommended for use as a general purpose growth media for the cultivation of microorganisms.
This dehydrated culture medium is a raw material intended to be used in the making of prepared media products, which will require further processing, additional ingredients, or supplements.
CRITERION™ Eugonic Broth is generally used for the non-selective enrichment of bacteria including fastidious and non-fastidious micoorganisms. Bacteria such as Aspergillis, Brucella, Candida, Lactobacillus, Shigella and Streptococcus have been shown to produce eugonic (rapid and luxuriant) growth. This media is useful for cultivation of pathogenic microbes in medical bacteriology as well as enumerating bacteria in food.
Proteose, casein and soy peptones are used in this formula as a source of amino acids, nitrogen, and other essential vitamins. Carbon is available from dextrose, while sodium chloride is added to maintain the proper osmotic pressure. L-cysteine and sodium sulfite are added nutrients in order to improve growth.
|Gram weight per liter:||30.4gm/L|
Final pH 7.0 +/- 0.2 at 25ºC.
* Adjusted and/or supplemented as required to meet performance criteria.
STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
Store the sealed bottle(s) containing dehydrated culture medium at 2-30ºC. Dehydrated culture medium is very hygroscopic. Keep lid tightly sealed. Protect dehydrated culture media from moisture and light. The dehydrated culture media should be discarded if it is not free-flowing or if the color has changed from its original beige.
Store the prepared culture media at 2-8ºC.
METHOD OF PREPARATION FOR DEHYDRATED CULTURE MEDIA
1. Suspend 30.4gm of the dehydrated culture media in 1 liter of distilled or deionized water. Stir to mix thoroughly.
2. Boil to dissolve completely. Do not overheat. Dispense in required container.
3. Sterilize in the autoclave at 121ºC. for 15 minutes.
PROCEDURE AND INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS
For information on procedures and interpretation of results, consult listed references.
MATERIALS REQUIRED BUT NOT PROVIDED
Standard microbiological supplies and equipment such as tubes, innoculation loop or needles, autoclaves, incinerators, and incubators, etc., are not provided.
|Test Organisms||Inoculation Method*||Incubation||Results|
formerly A. niger
ATCC ® 16404
ATCC ® 26790
ATCC ® 9338
ATCC ® 12022
ATCC ® 19615
User Quality Control
CRITERION™ Eugonic Broth powder should appear homogeneous, free-flowing, and beige in color. The prepared media should appear clear, light amber in color; may have a slight precipitate.
1. APHA Technical Committee on Microbiological Methods for Foods. Compendium of Methods for the Microbiological Examination of Foods, APHA, Washington, D.C.
2. Anderson, N.L., et al. Cumitech 3B; Quality Systems in the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, Coordinating ed., A.S. Weissfeld. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.
3. Jorgensen., et al. Manual of Clinical Microbiology, American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.
4. American Public Health Association. Standard Methods for the Examination of Dairy Products, APHA, Washington, D.C.
5. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Bacteriological Analytical Manual. AOAC, Arlington, VA.
ATCC is a registered trademark of the American Type Culture Collection.