CRITERION™ HEMOGLOBIN POWDER
|Cat. no. C5850||CRITERION™ Hemoglobin Powder||100gm|
|Cat. no. C5851||CRITERION™ Hemoglobin Powder||2x250gm|
|Cat. no. C5852||CRITERION™ Hemoglobin Powder||2kg|
|Cat. no. C5853||CRITERION™ Hemoglobin Powder||10kg|
|Cat. no. C5854||CRITERION™ Hemoglobin Powder||50kg|
Hardy Diagnostics CRITERION™ Hemoglobin Powder is used as a supplement for GC Agar Base in the preparation of Chocolate Agar. Chocolate Agar is used to cultivate fastidious organisms such as Neisseria spp. and Haemophilus spp.
This is a raw material intended to be used in the making of prepared media products, which will require further processing, additional ingredients, or supplements.
Hemoglobin Powder is dried bovine blood. It is specially prepared to dissolve quickly in water and be autoclavable.
STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
Store the sealed bottle(s) containing dehydrated culture medium at 2-30ºC. Dehydrated culture medium is very hygroscopic. Keep lid tightly sealed. Protect dehydrated culture media from moisture and light. The dehydrated culture media should be discarded if it is not free-flowing or if the color has changed from its original dark brown.
METHOD OF PREPARATION FOR DEHYDRATED CULTURE MEDIA
Preparation of 2% Hemoglobin to be used with GC Agar Base
1. Suspend 10gm of the dehydrated hemoglobin powder in 500ml of distilled or deionized water.
2. Autoclave solution at 121ºC for 15 minutes.
3. Cool to 45-50ºC and combine with 500ml of autoclaved agar base solution (GC Agar Base) that has been cooled to 45-50ºC.
4. Add supplements and antibiotics.
5. Mix thoroughly before dispensing.
MATERIALS REQUIRED BUT NOT PROVIDED
Standard microbiological supplies and equipment such as autoclave, incinerators, and incubators, etc., are not provided.
CRITERION™ Hemoglobin Powder should appear homogeneous, free-flowing, and dark brown in color.
1. MacFaddin, J.F. 1985. Media for Isolation, Cultivation, Identification, Maintenance of Bacteria, Vol. I. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, MD.