CRITERION™ PC (PSEUDOMONAS CEPACIA) AGAR
|Cat. no. C6660||CRITERION™ PC Agar||60gm|
|Cat. no. C6661||CRITERION™ PC Agar||500gm|
|Cat. no. C6662||CRITERION™ PC Agar||2kg|
|Cat. no. C6663||CRITERION™ PC Agar||10kg|
|Cat. no. C6664||CRITERION™ PC Agar||50kg|
Hardy Diagnostics CRITERION™ PC (Pseudomonas cepacia) Agar is recommended for the selective isolation of Burkholderia (Pseudomonas) cepacia.
This dehydrated culture medium is a raw material intended to be used in the making of prepared media products, which will require further processing, additional ingredients, or supplements.
CRITERION™ PC Agar was developed by Gilligan, et al.(1) They were able to demonstrate that P. cepacia could be recovered from mixed cultures of cystic fibrosis patients using this media. This formula contains bile salts and crystal violet, which inhibits gram-positive bacteria. Gram-negative bacteria can be inhibited by the addition of polymyxin B and ticarcillin. P. cepacia utilizes the pyruvate and produces alkaline products that turns the media bright pink to red.
|Gram weight per liter:||30.0gm/L|
|Peptic Digest of Animal Tissue||1.0gm|
|Bile Salts No. 3||0.5gm|
|Ferrous Ammonium Sulfate||10.0mg|
Final pH 7.1 +/- 0.2 at 25ºC.
* Adjusted and/or supplemented as required to meet performance criteria.
STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
Store the sealed bottle(s) containing dehydrated culture medium at 2-30ºC. Dehydrated culture medium is very hygroscopic. Keep lid tightly sealed. Protect dehydrated culture media from moisture and light. The dehydrated culture media should be discarded if it is not free-flowing or if the color has changed from its original light beige.
Store the prepared culture medium at 2-8ºC.
METHOD OF PREPARATION FOR DEHYDRATED CULTURE MEDIA
1. Suspend 30.0gm of the dehydrated culture media in 1 liter of distilled or deionized water.
2. Heat to boiling and mix to dissolve completely.
3. Sterilize in the autoclave at 121ºC. for 15 minutes.
4. Cool to 45-50ºC. and aseptically add ticarcillin (100mg) and polymyxin B (300,000 units).
PROCEDURE AND INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS
For information on procedures and interpretation of results, consult listed references or refer to the prepared media Instructions for Use (IFU) for Cat. No. G48.
MATERIALS REQUIRED BUT NOT PROVIDED
Standard microbiological supplies and equipment such as autoclaves, incinerators, and incubators, etc., are not provided.
|Test Organisms||Inoculation Method*||Incubation||Results|
Burkholderia (Pseudomonas) cepacia
ATCC ® 25416
|A||18-72hr||35°C||Aerobic||Growth; gray-white colonies surrounded by a red zone in medium|
ATCC ® 27853
ATCC ® 25922
ATCC ® 25922
User Quality Control
** Inhibited (partial to complete) when prepared with antimicrobics ticarcillin (100mg) and polymyxin B (300,000 units).
CRITERION™ PC Agar powder should appear homogeneous, free-flowing, and light beige in color. The prepared media should appear clear to slightly hazy, and orange-red in color.
1. Gilligan, P.H., et al. 1985. J. Clin. Microbiol.; 22:5.
2. Anderson, N.L., et al. Cumitech 3B; Quality Systems in the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory, Coordinating ed., A.S. Weissfeld. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.
3. Jorgensen., et al. Manual of Clinical Microbiology, American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.
4. Tille, P., et al. Bailey and Scott's Diagnostic Microbiology, C.V. Mosby Company, St. Louis, MO.
5. Isenberg, H.D. Clinical Microbiology Procedures Handbook, Vol. I, II & III. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.
6. Koneman, E.W., et al. Color Atlas and Textbook of Diagnostic Microbiology, J.B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia, PA.
ATCC is a registered trademark of the American Type Culture Collection.