CRITERION™ PHENOL RED MANNITOL BROTH
|Cat. no. C7630||CRITERION™ Phenol Red Mannitol Broth||42gm|
|Cat. no. C7631||CRITERION™ Phenol Red Mannitol Broth||500gm|
|Cat. no. C7632||CRITERION™ Phenol Red Mannitol Broth||2kg|
|Cat. no. C7633||CRITERION™ Phenol Red Mannitol Broth||10kg|
|Cat. no. C7634||CRITERION™ Phenol Red Mannitol Broth||50kg|
Hardy Diagnostics CRITERION™ Phenol Red Mannitol Broth is recommended to be used in the differentiation of microorganisms based on the fermentation of mannitol.
This dehydrated culture medium is a raw material intended to be used in the making of prepared media products, which will require further processing, additional ingredients, or supplements.
Phenol Red Mannitol Broth contains pancreatic digest of casein, sodium chloride, mannitol, and phenol red. Pancreatic digest of casein provides the nutrients and growth factors necessary for growth. This media is low in carbohydrates which may interfere with the fermentation reactions of the media. The mannitol is added at a concentration of 1%. Phenol red is the acid-base indicator in the media. It is red at an alkaline pH, and shifts to yellow when acid is produced during fermentation of the added carbohydrate. Durham tubes are added to the tubes to visualize gas production by the organism. After incubation, yellow media with gas trapped in the durham tube is indicative of a positive fermentation reaction.
|Gram weight per liter:||21.0gm/L|
|Pancreatic Digest of Casein||10.0gm|
Final pH 7.4 +/- 0.2 at 25ºC.
* Adjusted and/or supplemented as required to meet performance criteria.
STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
Store the sealed bottle(s) containing dehydrated culture medium at 2-30ºC. Dehydrated culture medium is very hygroscopic. Keep lid tightly sealed. Protect dehydrated culture media from moisture and light. The dehydrated culture media should be discarded if it is not free-flowing or if the color has changed from its original pink.
Store the prepared culture media at 2-8ºC.
METHOD OF PREPARATION FOR DEHYDRATED CULTURE MEDIA
1. Suspend 21.0gm of the dehydrated culture media in 1 liter of distilled or deionized water.
2. Stir to dissolve completely.
3. Distribute into tubes. To detect gas production, place inverted fermentation tubes (durham tubes) in the tubes of medium.
3. Sterilize in the autoclave at no more than 118ºC. for 15 minutes. Heat sensitive .
PROCEDURE AND INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS
For information on procedures and interpretation of results, consult listed references or refer to the prepared media Instructions for Use (IFU) for Cat. No. Y311.
MATERIALS REQUIRED BUT NOT PROVIDED
Standard microbiological supplies and equipment such as autoclaves, incinerators, and incubators, etc., are not provided.
|Test Organisms||Inoculation Method*||Incubation||Results|
ATCC ® 25922
|A||18-48hr||35°C||Aerobic||Growth; media turns yellow, gas positive|
ATCC ® 12453
|A||18-48hr||35°C||Aerobic||Growth; no color change, gas negative|
User Quality Control
CRITERION™ Phenol Red Mannitol Broth powder should appear homogeneous, free-flowing, and pink in color. The prepared media should appear clear, and red in color.
1. Jorgensen., et al. Manual of Clinical Microbiology, American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.
2. Tille, P., et al. Bailey and Scott's Diagnostic Microbiology, C.V. Mosby Company, St. Louis, MO.
3. Isenberg, H.D. Clinical Microbiology Procedures Handbook, Vol. I, II & III. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.
4. Koneman, E.W., et al. Color Atlas and Textbook of Diagnostic Microbiology, J.B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia, PA.
5. MacFaddin, J.F. 1985. Media for Isolation, Cultivation, Identification, Maintenance of Bacteria, Vol. I. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, MD.
6. Quality Assurance for Commercially Prepared Microbiological Culture Media, M22. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI - formerly NCCLS), Wayne, PA.
ATCC is a registered trademark of the American Type Culture Collection.