CRITERION™ TRYPTOSE PHOSPHATE BROTH
|Cat. no. C7210||CRITERION™ Tryptose Phosphate Broth||59gm|
|Cat. no. C7211||CRITERION™ Tryptose Phosphate Broth||500gm|
|Cat. no. C7212||CRITERION™ Tryptose Phosphate Broth||2kg|
|Cat. no. C7213||CRITERION™ Tryptose Phosphate Broth||10kg|
Hardy Diagnostics CRITERION™ Tryptose Phosphate Broth is recommended for use as a general purpose growth media for the isolation, cultivation, and differentiation of a wide variety of fastidious microorganisms.
This dehydrated culture medium is a raw material intended to be used in the making of prepared media products, which will require further processing, additional ingredients, or supplements.
CRITERION™ Tryptose Phosphate Broth is an infusion-free buffered medium recommended for the cultivation of fastidious, pathogenic microorganisms. Tryptose Phosphate Broth is valuable in tissue culture procedures, as shown by Ginsberg, Gold, and Jordan. The peptone content of Tryptose Phosphate Broth is considered to be a stimulating factor for cells. Tryptose Phosphate Broth is specified for cell culture procedures.(1,2)
Nitrogen, vitamins, and carbon sources are provided by peptones. Dextrose in the carbohydrate source. Sodium chloride maintains the osmotic environment and disodium phosphate is the buffering agent.
The addition of 0.1-0.2% agar to Tryptose Phosphate Broth facilitates anaerobic growth, and aids in dispersion of reducing substances and CO2 formed in the environment.(3) The low agar concentration provides suitable conditions for aerobic growth in the upper zone, and microaerophilic and anaerobic growth in the lower zone.
|Gram weight per liter:||29.5gm/L|
|Pancreatic Digest of Casein||10.0gm|
|Peptic Digest of Animal Tissue||10.0gm|
Final pH 7.3 +/- 0.2 at 25ºC.
* Adjusted and/or supplemented as required to meet performance criteria.
STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
Store the sealed bottle(s) containing dehydrated culture medium at 2-30ºC. Dehydrated culture medium is very hygroscopic. Keep lid tightly sealed. Protect dehydrated culture media from moisture and light. The dehydrated culture media should be discarded if it is not free-flowing or if the color has changed from its original beige.
Store the prepared culture media at 2-8ºC.
METHOD OF PREPARATION FOR DEHYDRATED CULTURE MEDIA
1. Suspend 29.5gm of the dehydrated culture media in one liter of distilled or deionized water. Stir to mix thoroughly.
2. Heat as necessary to dissolve completely.
3. Sterilize in the autoclave at 121ºC. for 15 minutes.
4. Cool to 45-50ºC.
PROCEDURE AND INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS
For information on procedures and interpretation of results, consult listed references.
MATERIALS REQUIRED BUT NOT PROVIDED
Standard microbiological supplies and equipment such as autoclaves, incinerators, and incubators, etc., are not provided.
|Test Organisms||Inoculation Method*||Incubation||Results|
ATCC ® 13090
ATCC ® 12228
ATCC ® 6305
ATCC ® 19615
User Quality Control
CRITERION™ Tryptose Phosphate Broth powder should appear homogeneous, free-flowing, and beige in color. The prepared media should appear clear and golden in color.
1. Ginsberg, Gold, and Jordan. 1955. Proc. Soc. Exp. Bio. Med.; 89:66.
2. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Bacteriological Analytical Manual. AOAC, Arlington, VA.
3. MacFaddin, J.F. 1985. Media for Isolation, Cultivation, Identification, Maintenance of Bacteria, Vol. I. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, MD.
4. Vanderzant, C. and D. R. Splittstoesser, (ed). 1992. Compendium of Methods for the Microbiological Examination of Foods, 3rd ed. APHA, Washington, D.C.
ATCC is a registered trademark of the American Type Culture Collection.