|Cat. no. Z915A||Novobiocin NaCl, 16x100mm Tube, 1000mg||1 tube/box|
Hardy Diagnostics Novobiocin NaCl is a selective supplement intended for use in conjunction with Shigella Broth Base for the selective enrichment of Shigella spp. in foods as recommended by the APHA.(1)
are gram-negative, non-motile, non-spore forming rod-shaped bacteria
closely related to
Salmonella. Shigella infection is typically via ingestion (faecal-oral contamination), depending on age and condition of the host, and as few as injestion of 10 cells can be enough to cause an infection. Shigella causes dysentery, resulting in the destruction of the epithelial cells of the intestinal mucosa in the cecum and rectum. Some strains produce enterotoxin and Shiga toxin, similar to the verotoxin of E. coli O157:H7.(4) Shigella Broth Base (Cat. no. C9151) is used in conjunction with Novobiocin NaCl for the selective isolation and cultivation of Shigella species as recommended by APHA.(1,3) Novobiocin is inhibitory to gram-positive bacteria, such as Staphylococcus aureus, and certain gram-negative organisms like Haemophilus influenzae and some strains of Proteus.(1,2)
Ingredients per liter of deionized water:
STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
Storage: Upon receipt store at 2-8ºC. away from direct light. Supplement should not be used if there are any signs of deterioration such as discoloration, contamination, or if the expiration date has passed. Product is light and temperature sensitive; protect from light, excessive heat, moisture, and freezing.
1. Rehydrate the contents of the tube with 10.0ml sterile deionized or distilled water. Mix contents well to completely dissolve.
2. Filter sterilize contents using a 0.2 micron filter.
3. Aseptically add 0.5ml sterilized novobiocin solution per liter of sterile, molten and cooled (45-50ºC.) Shigella Broth Base (Cat. no. C9151).
4. Mix thoroughly and aseptically dispense into pre-sterilized containers as desired.
If storing rehydrated contents, keep tube capped tightly and store contents at refrigerated temperatures for no more than one week.
MATERIALS REQUIRED BUT NOT PROVIDED
Standard microbiological supplies and equipment such as loops, swabs, applicator sticks, other culture media (Cat. no. C915_, Shigella Broth Base), incinerators, and incubators, etc., as well as serological and biochemical reagents, are not provided.
USER QUALITY CONTROL
Novobiocin NaCl should appear free flowing, and white in color.
2. Atlas R.M., 2010, Handbook of Microbiological Media 4th Edition, CRC Press, Boca Raton, New York, London, Tokyo
3. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Bacteriological Analytical Manual. AOAC, Arlington, VA. www.fda.gov/Food/ScienceResearch/LaboratoryMethods/BacteriologicalAnalyticalManualBAM/default.htm
ATCC is a registered trademark of the American Type Culture