PHENYLALANINE DEAMINASE TABLETS
|Cat. no. K530||Phenylalanine Deaminase Tablets||50 tablets/bottle|
Phenylalanine Deaminase Tablets are recommended for use in the differentiation of gram-negative bacilli based on their ability of the microorganism to produce phenylpyruvic/pyruvic acid by oxidative deamination.
Some organisms produce the enzyme which deaminates phenylalanine to produce phenylpyruvic acid. The most familiar of these are the Proteus and Providencia species, Morganella morganii, and Enterobacter agglomerans. Phenylalanine Deaminase Tablets provide the substrate necessary to detect the enzyme. The phenylpyruvic acid end product reacts with ferric chloride to produce a green color.
Each tablet contains 2.5mg of phenylalanine hydrochloride.
MATERIAL SAFETY DATA
This product does not contain any material known at this time to be hazardous.
STORAGE AND SHELF LIFE
Storage: Upon receipt store at room temperature, 15-30ºC. Product should not be used if there are any signs of deterioration (shrinking, cracking, or discoloration), contamination, or if the expiration date has passed. Product is light and temperature sensitive; protect from light, excessive heat and freezing.
1. In a small test tube, dissolve 1 tablet in 1ml of distilled water.
2. Inoculate heavily. One loopful of growth from a culture plate should be enough.
3. Incubate at 37º for 24 hours.
4. Add 1-2 drops of ferric chloride reagent. A green color appearing within 1-5 minutes is a positive result.
1. Add 5 drops of water to the tube containing the tablet. If using bulk tablets, add 1 tablet to a small test tube before adding water.
2. Inoculate heavily with a loopful of growth, mixing well.
3. Incubate for 4-6 hours.
4. Add 1 drop of ferric chloride and observe for development of green color.
MATERIALS REQUIRED BUT NOT PROVIDED
Standard microbiological supplies and equipment such as loops, other culture media, swabs, applicator sticks, incinerator, and incubators, etc., as well as serological and biochemical reagents, are not provided.
Ferric Chloride Solution
Distilled Water, Neutral pH
Phenylalanine Deaminase Tablets should be tested before use with organisms of known reactivity. Discard used tests in a manner conforming with accepted laboratory procedures for biohazardous materials.
Some Expected Reactions:
User Quality Control
Small, white tablet.
1. Jorgensen., et al. Manual of Clinical Microbiology, American Society for Microbiology, Washington, D.C.
2. Tille, P., et al. Bailey and Scott's Diagnostic Microbiology, C.V. Mosby Company, St. Louis, MO.
This document is provided for general product information only. It does not replace the manufacturer's product insert. Always refer to the actual product insert for procedural use and for most recent product information.